Monday, March 31, 2008

A Real Hero


This is just incredible! I expect his back was sore for several days. Hope he gets a VC:

A ROYAL Marine has told how he threw himself in front of an exploding grenade to save his colleagues - and escaped with just a nose bleed.

Lance Corporal Matt Croucher has been recommended for a Victoria Cross, Britain's The Times newspaper reports.

He and three other soldiers were on patrol in southern Afghanistan when Lance Corporal Croucher hit a tripwire attached to the grenade.

The soldier told The Times: “I thought, I’ve set this bloody thing off and I’m going to do whatever it takes to protect the others. I’m very tight with the three other guys. There have been a few times when they have saved my bacon.

“I knew a grenade like this has a killing circumference of about five metres. So I got down with my back to the grenade and used my body as a shield. It was a case of either having four of us as fatalities or badly wounded, or one.”

While Lance Corporal Croucher was thrown into the air, his backpack took the full force of the blast.

He suffered a nose bleed and the rest of the patrol had minor cuts and bruises.......

No comments:

Post a Comment